Changes and Credits
Existing Content & Credits
This website features content from the original Ardent Tool by Louis Ohland.
In addition it includes material from many other PS/2 and MCA-oriented websites. Namely:
Credit for the original content goes to the respective authors listed above.
Aside from the above sources many other pages were merged to the MAD Edition
(see changelog). Name of the original author should always be noted either on the
page itself or next to the link that leads to the particular page.
If you are one of the authors and you can't find your name anywhere, want to
request some edits or content removal, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Most of the Email links are still pointed to the respective authors, as I
think it's the right thing to do. Since it was them who collected or created the
content. If you have a question specifically concerning this version of the
website, please contact me directly.
Included in this version are some additional documents - such as technical
references, brochures, articles from various computer magazines (PC Magazine,
InfoWorld and many others) etc. Authors of these materials are either named
explicitly on the page from where they can be accessed, and/or are named directly
in the material itself.
The MAD Edition also features a significant amount of new content created by
me - Tomáš Slavotínek. This includes technical explanations, tutorials, various
text notes, board outlines (TS signature), schematics and other illustrations,
pinouts, reverse-engineering and measurement results, hardware modifications,
Many of the of the pre-existing pages were modified, merged, cleaned up etc.
These changes include complete overhauls, improved and more consistent formatting,
fixed links, and other adjustments. Some of the illustrations, tables, and other
content were completely reworked. The main index page has been redesigned from a
scratch, and should be much easier to navigate now.
It would be nearly impossible, and of little value to list every single change
here, but the most important additions and modifications are noted down bellow.
It's possible that even some relatively large updates are missing from here,
because I simply don't recall what changes were made during the early days,
and even now I sometimes forget to update this page. Version control you say?
Yeah, maybe one day...
16.06.2020 – 17.06.2020
11.06.2020 – 14.06.2020
15.05.2020 – 16.05.2020
09.05.2020 – 11.05.2020
05.05.2020 – 06.05.2020
01.05.2020 – 02.05.2020
17.04.2020 – 24.04.2020
- Bermuda & Lacuna - overhaul, part ID, links & datasheets
- 35, 40, 56, 57, 76, 77 - removed duplicate info (planar replacing, riser types...)
- 35, 40, 56, 57, 76, 77 - Common Parts - overhaul
- Added 35, 40, 56, 57, 76, 77 - Power Supply - resolves some more redundancy
- 9576 & 9577 - overhaul
- Merged T4 "P" and T4 "Q" pages to Type 4 "P" / "Q" - updated FRUs, FCC IDs,
FDIV info, additional info about PCB layouts, got rid of some redundancy
- Type 4 "Y" - additional FCC IDs, FDIV info
- Complex Identification & Type 4 Index - updated to reflect above changes
- 85/95 & 3511 PSU - overhaul, separated Side Cover Fan & 95A PSU Exposed
- Some other minor changes across the board
07.04.2020 – 09.04.2020
04.04.2020 – 05.04.2020
02.04.2020 – 03.04.2020
27.03.2020 – 28.03.2020
- Merge of the latest Louis's changes; snapshot taken 26.03.2020
- A minor index page update, some sub-index pages updated as well
- IBM HD Pinouts - uses global pinout styles now
- 9585 "X" Planar, 9585 "K"/"N" Planar - cleanup, links, datasheets etc.
- Some other minor changes
24.03.2020 – 26.03.2020
- Updated Online INF Book Reader to version 0.3a. Added "About" page.
- T4 "N" and "Y" - updated outlines
- Additional info about T4 Flash ROM + programming voltages
- T4 pages - corrected some errors + clean-up
- Added more PS/2, MCA patents (posted by Louis)
- Streamlined the main index and some sub-index pages for easier navigation
- The "Complex Thoughts" page now serves as the main "Processor Complex" index.
All processor complex-related pages can be reached from here now.
- Added "MCA Pinouts"
- Reworked the "MCA Slots" page. Replaced the original ASCII art with pictures.
- Moved the HIMEM.SYS Update info to its own page.
- T4 - added info about diag. LEDs
- T4 - added info about SDL POST diags and SDL POST diag jumper
- Op Panel - added some SDL info
- Added SDL programming page
- Updated Online INF Book Reader to version 0.3
- Added ServerGuide 3.01 INF files (thanks Tim)
- Added IVIEW 2.1, level 100 (fixes some font rendering issues)
- Updated Online INF Book Reader to version 0.2
- Added Online INF Book Reader
02.01.2020 – 04.01.2020
- Added Operator Panel Upgrade for 9585 K/N
- Added ServerGuide 2.50 INF files (thanks Wolf)
26.12.2019 – 27.12.2019
- Minor index and disks page tweaks
- Links/media links update
01.12.2019 – 16.12.2019
- Index page update, sections reorganized
- Minor Operator/Indicator Panel changes, 85 Indicator Panel schematic update
- Added Flash ROM info page
- Reworked 85 K/N planar outline and description
- Updated 9595, Bermuda, and Lacuna planar outlines and description
- Merge of the latest Louis's changes; snapshot taken 15.12.2019
20.11.2019 – 23.11.2019
- Index page update, new index menu, reworked sub-sections, a little bit of SEO
- Fixed some broken links and URL case inconsistencies.
14.11.2019 – 16.11.2019
- Updated and fixed the Processor Complex Matrix (from Louis)
- Added Tech. Ref. for PS/2 76/77 i/s, Server 85, Server 95, 95A (INF) (from Louis)
- Index page update (simplified and reorganized)
- New index pages for PC, RT, RS/6000, ThinkPads, and other systems
- Tweaked colors of the PS/2 form factor previews
- New index image (from Wikipedia, made by Raymangold22, public domain - CC0)
- Reorganized the Needham's Programmers section a bit
- Added a few more IBM patents
- Added some new POST/IML error codes + other minor tweaks
- Model 76/77 - added some more flash BIOS files, minor cleanup
21.08.2019 – 23.08.2019
- Added RM Nimbus index and files
- Added some Olivetti files
- A few additions to the Link collection
- Minor index update and some other changes
- Tweaked "Peter H. Wendt's Adapter Picture Collection and made it available locally
- Made The MAD Edition available online at ardent-tool.com. Finally!
04.07.2019 – 17.08.2019
- Cleaned up a few pages
- Localized a few more links, added internal links
- Promoted the "ALR files" page to a proper ALR index page
- Added NCR index page, NCR file libraries, system files, documents etc.
- Added Olivetti index page, Olivetti system list, service guides, documents etc.
- Configuration index and Technical Background index are now two separate pages
- Technical Background - added info about MCA-specific programming routines
- Imported Model 25 pages from William R. Walsh's website + new sub-index
- Imported EduQuest pages from William R. Walsh's website + new sub-index
- Added Apricot index page, system info, and some files.
- Merge of the latest Louis's changes; snapshot taken 17.07.2019
- 95/95A planar cleanup, new outlines, fixed links
- Parallel port & mouse cleanup (fixed links, localized files, reworked tables etc.)
- Floppy pinouts reworked tables, added 40-pin planar pinout, cable diagrams...
- Resolved the networking index vs adapters index vs main index redundancy
- Localized Token Ring NIC benchmarking info from Wolfgang Gehl
- Added Infotronic IGP64 CHROMA/MCA page, based on info from Wolfgang Gehl
- Resolved the 9590 planar vs 9590 common devices redundancy
- Added a proper 9590 index page, cleaned up the 9590 pages, new planar outline
- Cleaned up the Op Panel page, replaced all the ASCII-art with proper schematics
- Added some more PS/2 and MCA patents held by IBM, new patent folder and index
- Added memory technology docs from IBM Microelectronics (DRAM, VRAM etc.)
- Reworked the Op Panel page, added schematics for 85, 95 XP, and 95A panels, pinouts and much more...
- Localized Intel FDIV Processor Replacement Program pages
- Localized Processor Complex-related IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletins + links
- Reworked the PS/55 and Multistation index pages, fixed up a few other PS/55 pages.
- Added memory chip conversion chart (DRAM, SRAM, EPROM, FLASH...)
- Fixed a multitude of broken links and URL case inconsistencies.
- Some final pre-release touches across the board.
29.05.2019 – 25.06.2019
- Merge of the latest Louis's changes; snapshot taken 29.05.2019
- Cleaned up a few pages
- Localized a few more links
- Fixed some internal links
- Added a few more scans/articles
- Removed some more duplicate pages (serial, parallel, error index etc.)
- Added a list of the RETAIN books
- Added PS/2 brochures (from 1000bit.it)
30.04.2017 – 13.06.2017
- Merge of the latest Louis's changes (apart from some "broken" bits and parts
that already were tweaked in the MAD Edition); snapshot taken 30.04.2017
- Added PS/2 Model List and PS/2 Form Factor pages
- Added a collection of PS/2 and MCA related articles from PCMag, InfoWorld and other mags. (Thanks Google Books!)
- Added a few more PS/2 PDFs
- Added a local copy of reconstructed Piper Research website
- Added Kingston Files
- Cleaned up a few pages (burn in hell WYSIWYG HTML editors!)
- Localized a few more links
- Some plain text tables reworked to HTML format
- Added 6900 - Personal Typing System page with info and pics from Scott Peterson
- Added detailed 8580 20MHz planar layout picture and component list
- Reworked/corrected/added a few more planar layouts (8525, 8530...)
- Added a list of common IBM PS/2 ASICs
- Added Technical Information Catalog (by IBM) - list only, no files
- Added PCI/Micro Channel White Paper (by IBM) - PCI/MCA comparison
- Added a local copy of (MCDA) Micro Channel Developers Association, just for fun...
- Fancy new index images :>
- Fixed/tweaked PS/55 and Multistation "Timelines"
- Tweaked a few more PS/55 and Multistation pages (mostly formatting)
- Added Kentie's Model 95 and Model 95 Case Conversion pages
- Reorganized the Networking sections
- Added CNet 650E/2 adapter info and files
- Added/localized 3Com EtherLink/TokenLink files
16.08.2016 – 01.09.2016
- Merged with many other PS/2 and MCA-oriented websites (see above)
- Index page reworked
- PDF documents section extended and cleaned up (added files from MCA Mafia, schematics...)
- Some missing bits and pieces (pages, pictures...) recovered
(Thanks to web.archive.org!)
- Many external pages and content added, links localized (pictures, documents, binary files...)
- Many internal links fixed
- Some duplicate pages and sections removed or merged, links updated
(Like the four, mostly identical, versions of the "SCSI w/Cache" page. :>)
- Some plain text tables reworked to HTML format
- Some pictures reworked, tidied up, etc.
- Fixed formating of many pages (to a truly unified form shared across the website)
- Other minor changes (typos, text formating, file names, dir. hierarchy...)
9595 Main Page